Just about every rescue group and shelter has an online presence, and that’s a good way to begin your search. We’ve created the following categories and provided links to the websites of the organizations listed under each category.
- Seniors-Only Rescue Groups and Sanctuaries — These organizations will have dogs as young as seven years and sometimes into their teens. In addition to adoption, there will be opportunities for foster care and “hospice” care.
- Shelters, Other Rescue Groups — These organizations will have dogs of all ages, but have also made a commitment to do all they can to adopt out the seniors who come their way. They will usually start their “senior” category at seven years.
- Breed Rescue Groups –These organizations are focused on rescue of a specific breed and will have dogs of all ages, including seniors.
- Petfinder App — This app enables you to search by geographical area, type of pet, and many other categories, including “senior dog.”
- Interactive Map — Dots on this map pinpoint the locations of senior dogs rescues in the United States, and include a brief description and the opportunity to get driving directions via Google.