Here’s a really fast, easy way to locate senior dogs in your area: Go to The Shelter Pet Project site: https://theshelterpetproject.org/ You’ll have the opportunity to select “dog” and to type in your Zipcode, which will take you to a page asking for further “filters” — e.g., “age” (for which you can select “senior”), size, gender, etc.
If you need to do further research, try these resources:
- Seniors-Only Rescue Groups and Sanctuaries — These organizations will have dogs as young as seven years and sometimes into their teens. In addition to adoption, there will be opportunities for foster care and “hospice” care.
- Shelters, Other Rescue Groups — These organizations will have dogs of all ages, but have also made a commitment to do all they can to adopt out the seniors who come their way. They will usually start their “senior” category at seven years.
- Breed Rescue Groups –These organizations are focused on rescue of a specific breed and will have dogs of all ages, including seniors.
- Petfinder App — This app enables you to search by geographical area, type of pet, and many other categories, including “senior dog.”
- Interactive Map — Dots on this map pinpoint the locations of senior dogs rescues in the United States, and include a brief description and the opportunity to get driving directions via Google.